The Year of Centenaries has started.
June 17th, 2012
- This year is the centenary of secondary education in Leongatha being 100 years since the opening of
Leongatha Agricultural High School on February 6th. The centenary reunion will be on April 28th and
29th and will celebrate the history of Leongatha High, Tech and Secondary College. Lyn Skillern’s book
‘From Inkwell to Internet ‘ will be launched at the reunion.
- 2012 is also the centenary of our Mechanics’ Institute and a function to celebrate this will be organised
later in the year.
- The courthouse is 100 years old and celebrations will occur in October. Hopefully a production
of ‘Trial by jury’ will be performed in conjunction with this celebration
- The Jersey Breeders Association will celebrate 100 years this year. Arthur Mesley the founder of
Leongatha High School was an agricultural scientist and a great supporter of the breed. He founded the
association to promote jersey interests in the area.
- The Masonic Lodge building opened in 1912.