Name Alfred Fewell
Number Private 1169
Battalion 38th Battalion
Place of Birth Chelmsford Essex England
Next of Kin His mother Mrs. Harriett Fewell No 2 Grays Lodge Smealey near Chelmsford Essex
Date and place of enlistment Leongatha on 20/3/1916
Physical details on enlistment Age 21 years 4 months 5’7”, 152 pounds, grey green eyes and dark hair
Religion Church of England
Occupation Farm labourer
Date and place of death
He was missing in action on 1/1/1917 at Armentieres and on 21/1/1917 he was declared to have been killed in action.
Location of grave or memorial
He is remembered on the Villers Bretonneux Memorial
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
He lived and worked in the Koonwarra area
- He attended a Board School in England
- 20/3/16 He enlisted Leongatha
- He lived in Koonwarra
- He was in D Company 38th battalion
- 20/5/16 He embarked Melbourne on HMAT Runic
- 10/8/16 He disembarked Plymouth
- 2/8/16 At sea he suffered from tonsillitis
- 7/8/16 He was discharged to duty
- He had influenza and was in Fargo Military Hospital
- 2/10/16 He was at Larkhill
- 22/11/16 He went to France
- 1/1/17 He was missing in action
- 6/1/17 A Board of Enquiry stated that he is missing in action, he could be dead or captured. There is no evidence to decide which.
- 21/1/17 He was declared killed in action signed by S H Crawford Captain
- His effects consisted of badges, pouch. discs, testament, letters, photos, purse, notebook, wallet.
- Harriett received her package of effects
- 21/1/17 a board of enquiry was held.
Lt Poole evidence at the board of enquiry
On the night of the 13/12/16 and 1/1/17 Pte Fewell was one of a number sent on a raiding party the instructions were to enter enemy lines and bring back any information that could be gained. I also was a member of the above party, we never got into enemy lines being observed against his wires. only a few of the party got back. Private Fewell was one of the men who was unfortunate enough to be left in no mans land. To the best of my knowledge Pte Fewell was dead when we left him.
Signed 31/8/17 by H Poole before E Fluet
- His mother received medals and plaque