Name Edward Riseley
Number Private 3594
Battalion 24th Battalion and later the 8th Battalion
Place of Birth Fitzroy
Next of Kin His father Edward Riseley of Mt Eccles via Leongatha
Date and place of enlistment Leongatha 16/7/1915
Physical details on enlistment Age 21 years and 2 months,
5’6 ¼ ”, 9 stone 7 pounds, blue eyes and black hair.
Date and place of death
He was killed in action on 9/8/1918 at Villers Bretonneux
Location of grave or memorial
He was buried in Rosieres Communal Cemetery Extension France
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
He and his family lived in the Mt Eccles area in the Shire
- He attended Mt Eccles School
- He is on the Methodist Church Honour Roll Leongatha
- At first he was rejected because his chest was too small.
- 5/1/16 He embarked Melbourne on HMAT Africa
- 24/2/16 He went to the 24th Battalion
- 27/7/16 He went to hospital sick
- 8/8/16 He rejoined his Battalion from Hospital
- 9/1/17 He was admitted to the 51st General Hospital Etaples and was there for 45 days
- 23/3/17 He rejoined his Battalion
- 25/10/17 He was absent without leave and court martialed. He lost 254 days pay and served 104 days detention.
- 10/1/18 He returned to his unit
- 4/3/18 He was sick in hospital with scabies
- 23/3/18 He returned to his unit
- 23/6/18 He was sick in hospital
- 9/8/18 He was killed in action.
- His family received all medals, plaque and scroll as well as effects