John Clement Hooke
Name John Clement Hooke
Number Private 1212
Battalion 14th Battalion
Place of Birth Kensington London
Next of Kin Mr. James Hooke Bishopsgate London
Date and place of enlistment Leongatha 10/11/1914
Physical details on enlistment. Age 35 years 6 months, 5’ 6 ¾ “, 11 stone 3 pounds, hazel eyes and light brown hair.
Religion Church of England
Date and place of death
He died of illness in Cairo Egypt on 7/3/1915
Location of grave or memorial
Cairo War Memorial Cemetery Cairo Egypt
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
He enlisted in Leongatha
- He attended Hurst Pier Point School , Sussex, England
- Place of Association Auburn
- 10/11/14 He enlisted in Leongatha
- 22/12/1914 He embarked Melbourne on the HMAT Ulysses
- He spent 11 years in the Rifle Brigade in UK
- He served in the Boer War in South Africa.. Held South African Medal Cape Colony. He was an excellent rifle shot and won many prizes for shooting.
- His brother U. L. Hooke Lt Col. 7th Queens Royal West Surrey Regt. He was killed in France on 21/6/17.
- His family received John’s medals.