Lachlan McKinnon MacLean
Name Lachlan McKinnon MacLean also McLean
Number Private 955
Battalion 37th Battalion 5th
Place of Birth Urana NSW
Next of Kin His sister Miss McLean of 179 Riversdale Rd Auburn
Date and place of enlistment Leongatha 17/2/1916
Physical details on enlistment. Age 34 years 11 months, height 5’11 ½”, brown eyes and dark hair
Religion Roman Catholic
Date and place of death
He died of wounds on 22/9/1917 in Rouen
Location of grave or memorial
St Sever Cemetery Extension, Haute-Normandie, France
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
He enlisted in Leongatha
- He is not on the Leongatha Memorial Hall Black Marble Honour Roll.
- His place of Association was given as Auburn
- 3/6/16 embarked Melbourne on the HMAT Persic
- 25/7/16 He disembarked Plymouth
- 15/9/16 He went to France
- 17/9/16 He was in Etaples
- 29/9/16 He was sick in hospital with laryngitis which developed into pneumonia
- 13/110/16 He went to England via Calais and went to Kitchener Hospital Brighton
- 30/11/16 He was transferred to the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital
- 24/2/17 He returned to France via Folkestone
- 2/3/17 He marches to his unit
- 21/9/17 He was wounded in action in Belgium. He was taken to a casualty clearing station and on to Rouen. He had a gun shot wound to the thigh.
- 22/9/17 He died of wounds
- His effects were: – disc, pipe, rosary, badges, shoulder titles 2, prayer book, photos, letters, notebooks, hymnbook and military book.
- He left his estate to his sister Gwendoline McLean of Surrey Hills.
- 28/9/17 There is a letter from the priest of Our Lady of Victories Camberwell stating that Gwendoline McLean had died 3 or 4 months previous. He had located a brother of the deceased soldier who works at the Bank of New South Wales Collins St.
- H R MacLean wrote and asked if his medals could be sent to him in Toora