Neil John Sweeney
Name Neil John Sweeney
Number Private 3616
Battalion 57th Battalion
Place of Birth Quambetook
Next of Kin Charles Sweeney of Bridgewater upon Loddon
Date and place of enlistment Bendigo 15/7/15
Physical details on enlistment Age 24 years 4 months, 5’6 ½ “, 9 stone 6 pounds, blue eyes and brown hair.
Religion Roman Catholic
Date and place of death
He was killed in action at Armentieres on 22/9/1916
Location of grave or memorial
He was buried in Rue-Du-Bois Military Cemetery Fleurbaix, Bethune, Nord Pas de Calais
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
He had some connection to Meeniyan
- He is on the Meeniyan Honour Roll?
- He attended St Patricks school Ballarat
- he had been in the senior cadets
- He was rejected at first because of defective teeth.
- 15/7/15 He enlisted
- 29/12/15 He embarked Melbourne on HMAT Demosthenes
- He was originally in the 21st Battalion, then the 60th Battalion and then transferred to the 57th Battalion
- 21/4/16 He was taken on strength to the 57th Battalion
- 28/4/16 He was in hospital with influenza.
- 15/5/16 He returned to his unit.
- 17/6/16 He embarked Alexandria
- 23/6/16 He disembarked Marseilles
- 27/9/16 He was killed in action
- His effects were a religious medal, money belt, 5 buttons, 3 badges and letters
- His father received all his medals, his plaque and scroll.