Name Roy Robertson
Number Private 3128
Battalion 8th Battalion
Place of Birth Port Albert
Next of Kin His father, David Robertson of Bena and later his brother Howard
Date and place of enlistment Melbourne15/7/1915
Physical details on enlistment Age 19 years and 4 months, brown eyes and dark hair
Date and place of death
He was killed in action on 3/4/1918 near Dernancourt near Albert in the Somme region.
Location of grave or memorial
He was buried in Millencourt Communal Cemetery Extension France.
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
Attended Leongatha and Moyarra State School
- As a past student of Leongatha State School his name is on their honour board.
- 17/9/15 He enlisted in Melbourne
- 16/10/15 Embarked from Melbourne on HMAT Port Lincoln
- 4/2/16 He is in Ismailia and is placed in the 14th Battalion
- 3/3/16 He transferred to the 46th Battalion at Tel el Kebir
- He was charged with using obscene language to an NCO forfeited 5 days pay
- 2/6/16 He embarked Alexandria
- 8/6/16 disembarked Marseilles
- 1/10/16 He was wounded in action
- He was admitted to the Number 8 Stationary Hospital with gunshot wounds to the head and shoulder
- 3/10/16 He embarked Boulogne for England
- 4/10/16 He was admitted to the Western General Hospital Manchester with a severe shoulder injury and a head injury
- 20/10/16 He was discharged to recuperate in Weymouth
- 5/1/17 He was absent without leave and received 48 hours detention
- 23/1/17 to 31/1/17 He received 9 days detention for being absent without leave
- 23/3/17 He transferred to the 65th Battalion
- 22/4/17 He transferred to the 46th Battalion
- 28/5/17 He returned to France and to Etaples
- 6/11/17 He won the military medal
- 23/1/17 He joined to the 184th tunneling company
- 23/3/18 He rejoined his unit the 46th
- 6/4/18 He was killed in action
- His effects were 2 discs, writing pad, photos and card
- 19/9/18 Miss A H Robertson of Bena sent a letter stating that she has received her brother’s military medal. She states that his name has not been published in the newspaper yet acknowledging his military medal.
- There is a good letter regarding a Military Medal page 59 of his file
- There is a letter inviting Miss Robertson to attend the public presentation of her late brother’s Military Medal.
- Roy left his estate to his sister Agnes Robertson of Bena
- Howard Robertson, Roy’s brother, received his medals, plaque and scroll.
- His brother was Allan Robertson