John Leonard Raymond Costello
Name John Leonard Raymond Costello
Number Private 421
Battalion 39th Battalion
Place of Birth Sale
Next of Kin His mother Mrs. Margaret Costello of Tarwin Meadows
Date and place of enlistment Sale 7/3/1916
Physical details on enlistment Age 21 years 2 months, 5’6”, 127 pounds. Grey years and brown hair.
Occupation Motor driving
Date and place of death
He was killed in action at Armentieres France on 7/1/17
Location of grave or memorial
He was buried in Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery Armentieres, Lille, Nord Pas de Calais
Relationship to Woorayl Shire
His mother was from Tarwin Meadows
- 7/3/16 He enlisted in Sale
- 27/5/16 He embarked Melbourne on HMAT Ascanius
- 18/7/16 He disembarked Devonport
- 23/11/16 He went to France from Southampton England
- 7/1/17 He was killed in action
- His effects were: – a scarf, a testament, 2 books, a prayer book, 3 collers, neck tie, 2 handkerchiefs, electric torch, wallet, identity discs, metal ring, cigarette holder, 2 studs, sleeve link, post cards, pensil, watch cover and papers. These were sent to his mother at Guangamete
- P O near Colac Victoria
- Mrs. Margaret Costello received 40/- per fortnight from 23/3/17.
- His mother received his medals, plaque and scroll.